Saldiver, Belch each snare individual awards
By Greg Ford
The 2015 softball season might well be remembered as one where there was as much rain as there was pitching, hitting and fielding.
Indeed, the downpour of water that drenched North Texas for the last few months pretty much began as the first pitch was being thrown. The result, at least in softball’s case, were wet fields and numerous cancellations on non-district contests.
That was particularly true in District 10-5A, where most teams didn’t hit the field until they were scheduled to face each other. However, once action got under way, the play proved exciting, as always, and the performances by many individuals was quite memorable.
Those who really stood out were recently honored with inclusion on the All-District team; those who stood out in the classroom also earned Academic All-District honors.
Wylie senior Serena Saldivar capped her high school career by being named Co-Offensive Player of the Year along with Lovejoy sophomore JoJo McRae. Teammate Katelyn Belch, a sophomore, was named the district’s top utility player.
Two other Wylie players, junior Brooke Dumas and sophomore Jessica Lee, along with Wylie East sophomore Jewels Caro, were named to the first team.
Named to the second team were Wylie freshman Alexis Perry and junior Meleaha Ewing, along with Wylie East freshman Sloan Schonobelen.
Five East players — Maddie Donaldson, Kendal Dulaney, Marissa Hoiles, Tori Knapp and Kendall Tilton — earned honorable mention status, as did Wylie’s Addie Allard.
The other individual award winners within the district were Lovejoy’s Danielle Brochu (MVP), McKinney North senior Celeste Verdolivo (top pitcher), McKinney North sophomore Zoe Goodman (top catcher), McKinney senior Krissy Fontillas (top defensive player), Lovejoy senior Taylor LeGrange (top newcomer), Prosper freshman Dharma Monjure (top freshman) and Lovejoy’s Jeff Roberts (Coach of the Year).
The other first-team selections were:
- Lovejoy — sophomore Emily Weichel, junior Jaclyn Willis and senior Amanda Connor.
- McKinney North — juniors Smiley Coxwell and Jordan McCraw.
- Sherman — senior Taylor Baliff.
- Denison — senior Cassidy McDaris.
- McKinney — junior Demi Davenport.
- Prosper — senior Kelsey Rolfe and sophomore Abby Smith.
A total of 23 Wylie ISD players were honored for their classroom work; 12 from Wylie and 11 from Wylie East.
- Wylie — Allard, Belch, Tristen Castaneda, Dumas, Ewing, Lee, Perry, Karissa Saldivar, Alexis Shackelford, Ashling Shahan, Mackenzie Tano and Vivica Wheeler.
- Wylie East — Caro, manager Halie Daniel, Dulaney, Libby Foster, Olivia Gassett, Hoiles, Knapp, Schnoebelen, Kaitlyn Shindoll, Aryn Smith and Tilton.